Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Priorities.

In a life that can be crazy busy, and everything is yelling out for attention or action, what stops us from going completely insane and running down the street screaming?  Priorities.

Currently, we are a busy family.  School is in session again, Cheri's  been studying hard for her classes and worked at McDonald's to pay for the schooling.  I'm working as a teacher at Mission Australia still, and really enjoying it.  By God's grace, my class has grown from 1 regular student to 7, and there are more coming.  In fact, my boss informed me that my class has reached it's full enrollment (15).  I was blessed with that.  By God's grace, work is going well.  He has given me favour with my bosses.  I was blessed to hear that people like, "That Yank who speaks Kriol with a funny accent." :)

As well as work is going, if left unchecked, it could take over a TON of time.  Except for priorities.  At the end of the day, (literally and figuratively) I leave work behind.  I come home.  Sometimes I worry about work and what I will teach the next day.  I wonder, "Should I quickly make up another resource for the lesson tomorrow?"...and just as I'm thinking I will do it, a small voice says, "Daddy?  Can we take a bike ride?"  Or, "Daddy, look at me!  Watch this!"  And then a small child does something hilarious, ridiculous, adorable, or all of the above.  I stop and think, "Before I know it, this small child won't be small anymore.  Before I know it, I'll be looking back wondering where the time has already gone."

I know my time on this earth is limited.  Jesus could come back at any moment.  Will I be found doing what He has given me to do?  Am I using my gifts and abilities to serve Him with all my heart?  God has blessed our family, and I know we want to be a blessing to others as well.

Priorities...  I've noticed that there are two ways of interacting with people, ignore them, keep your head down and just go through your own life, or look up, greet people, and get to know them a bit!

Cheri and I were taking a walk on the trail/sidewalk behind our house while her parents were here watching our kids.  As we walked down the path, I noticed that there was a group of about 6 indigenous folks, mostly men, ahead of us.  For a moment I asked myself, "Should we just turn around? Nah!"  So, we kept walking, and when we got to them, I greeted them all, and started talking with them in Kriol. :)  It turns out they are from Ngukurr (4 1/2 hours drive away out bush and across a large river that sometimes floods at this time of year), and we know some folks who live out there.  So, when I mentioned our friends, they said, "You with the church mob, eh?"  I said, "We lived in Barunga for 2 1/2 years, and we worked with the church there, and met the Ngukurr folks, too."  One of the men said to me, "Yeah, my girlfriend went to church, and she changed her life, but I haven't changed my life.  I'm still drinking.  BUT I listened to a beautiful Christian song by an African singer."

When I first greeted their group, one man (the oldest of the group) was sitting on the ground.  As I talked with them in Kriol, he asked me basic questions, "Where did you learn to speak Kriol?" "The old ladies in Barunga taught me." "Where are you from?"...all the time sitting.  As we chatted more, he stood up, and shook my hand.  I told him we needed to go, but thanks for the chat, and God bless.  The younger fellow who "hadn't changed his life yet" told me if he sees me in town, he'll show me that song by the African.  I hope he sees me in town.

We chatted a bit more, and then Cheri and I continued on our date.  I'm really glad we didn't choose to turn around before talking with that group.  Since Katherine is a small-ish town, and people get stuck here in the wet, I don't know when I'll see those folks again, but perhaps it will be sooner rather than later. 

No comments: