Saturday, July 18, 2015

God's Perfect Plan (That I often don't see!)

Throughout my life, I have been blessed to be part of things that God is doing because He has been kind to me and allowed me and my family to join in!  Sometimes I don't see how God is working in different situations, but at other times, I catch small, "Oh!  Wow!"  moments.  I don't know what is going to happen in the future, but I know God does, and everything works together for the good of those who love Him.

Something He has placed in my lap is the opportunity to reach out through the Barunga Church to the Venndale Rehabilitation Centre.  I am currently working for Mission Australia as a teacher of English language, literacy, numeracy.  I was teaching the Skills for Education and Employment course in Katherine, and really enjoying it.

One Sunday, a lady from our church expressed interest in reaching out beyond Barunga, with a Kriol service out at a local alcohol and drug rehabilitation centre.  I spoke to the manager as well as the main person in charge at Venndale, and they were very encouraging.  After several weeks of chats, getting things organized and making things "official" we were blessed to do our first Saturday evening service out at Venndale.  That first service was myself, my pastor, and two of the olgamen (elder ladies) from the Barunga church--including the lady who wanted to start the outreach. :)  Praise the LORD!  

The Monday following our first Saturday service, my boss at Mission Australia called me and another teacher into the conference room, and we were told I would be sent out to Venndale to carry out the SEE Program there instead of in Katherine!  Praise the Lord!

Through my teaching at Venndale, I have been able to build some relationships with the people there, including the staff at Venndale.  On average we have had around 6-10 people attending the services, with many of the attenders being, "repeats".  This is an excellent opportunity to share Christ with people who are eager to listen.  Please pray for the gospel to take root, DEEP root, in their hearts, and for them to come to know the Lord or be brought closer to Him through this outreach that God has so kindly blessed us with. :) 

As the folks leave Venndale, they may return to Katherine, or back to their community (Barunga, Beswick, Manyalaluk, Weemol/Bulman or even Alice Springs).  Over 90% of the clients at Venndale are indigenous, and our church wants to effectively minister to them and help them to grow closer to the Lord.  We covet your prayers for the men and women at Venndale, both the staff and the clients, and for our church as we reach out to them. 

Praise God for this opportunity to share the hope of the gospel, and to see Him work in amazing ways!
 

No comments: