Thursday, November 25, 2010

How Many Sons Do I Have? (up in that tree)

I'm learning more and more about the kinship system every day. Without this system, the community wouldn't run properly. It is so deeply ingrained in the people that society is run through the relationships they have to everyone else.
We have a trampoline in our backyard, and it has become a favorite hangout for many of the kids in Barunga. One of the rules in using the trampoline is when it is getting dark, it's time for everyone to get off and go home. We have placed the trampoline under the shade of a mango tree so it's not as hot.
One evening as it was getting dark I went out to the tree and said, "Okay, it's getting dark! Everyone needs to go home." There were several boys up in the tree sitting and jumping on to the trampoline, but they didn' t move. Then I asked, "How many sons do I have up in that tree?" I heard, "Me, Dedi!" and a few other affirmations, then one boy said, "Four sons, Dedi!" So I said, "I need you to go home, it's dark now." They then went home with no fuss, right away.
This made me wonder if it was just a random happening, or if that was a consistent part of culture that we were now entering in to. As time has passed, more and more of the kids here are calling me "dedi"-daddy, and I call them son, or daughter. Just another opportunity to learn more about the depth of this system, the kinship system among the people here. We'll be keeping our ears open and keep track of all our "relatives" as time goes on.

No comments: