Friday, September 23, 2016

God's Work

So many times I feel like people say to me, "Wow, it's great that you found your calling, and you're doing 'God's work'."  They mean it in an encouraging way, and I appreciate it, but I hope they don't forget that they are doing God's work as well.  God's work isn't confined to Bible studies, preaching at a church, and doing baptisms for new believers.  Those are a joy and a blessing, and I love the fact that I've been given the opportunity to do those things.  God has been kind to me.  If I could just do that, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

However, God has also blessed me with another job as a teacher.  I enjoy teaching and helping folks reach their goals through teaching language, literacy and numeracy.  I work in an office setting with many different people.  God has put me there.  I know I need to be a light at work and a blessing to those around me.  

God has put his children exactly where he wants them to be to accomplish His purposes.  There are people around us every day who have a skewed view of Christians and, even worse, a skewed view of who Christ is and what He's like.  As Christians, we are called to be a light.  We're called to be witnesses.  What does that look like?  Following God's Word.  What does the Bible tell us to do?  Love God, and love our neighbour as ourselves.  Pray for our enemies.  People will see a difference in our lives, and they will ask.  When they ask, we have an opportunity to share the gospel with them with gentleness and respect.  That doesn't mean we have to march through the four spiritual laws the first time someone asks if we go to church somewhere, or preach hellfire and brimstone at a person who is seeking(though that is a fact that will need to be shared at some point...with gentleness and respect).  

That may sound a bit scary, sharing your faith.  But usually(in my experience) the people who have asked me about it are my friends or acquaintances.  I already know them, and they aren't out to burn me at the stake.  The Bible tells us that we need to be ready to share our faith in and out of season, we need to be ready to give an answer to someone who asks us for the reason we have hope, when the rest of the world doesn't really seem to.  

Why do we have peace?  As believers, we have God continually living inside of us.  That is pretty amazing.  We are called his children and He is our loving Father.  He promises never to leave us.  He promises to guide us if we let Him.  We don't have to worry about tomorrow, because He is with us, and He knows exactly what will happen.  We are in God's hands, and no one can take us away from Him.  Ever.  

Our world is looking for peace.  They look in so many different places.  Money: if I can just buy happiness and peace, I'll be fine.   How many millionaires have committed suicide?  Money can't buy peace.  

Politicians:  if my candidate is in office, he/she will do what I want and we will have peace.  So far, no government has brought about lasting peace.

Family:  as long as I have family, I have peace.  But what about family feuding?  When one breaks out against the others, the peace is gone.

Religion: if I just live a certain way, follow the proper ceremonies, traditions and laws, I'll be good, and I'll find peace.  But how many religious fanatics die without peace?  How many are living in the turmoil of "If I don't make this sacrifice, my family will be sick." or "If I don't act a certain way, people will judge me and shun me, and my god will abandon me." Where is the peace?

True peace is found in Christ.  True peace is found in knowing that God is in control, and no matter what comes in the future, He is with me.  The Creator of all, is with me, and has promised never to leave me.  He knows the beginning from the end, and He is with me.  Jesus said, when we pray we're supposed to pray, "Our Father..."  God is our Father.  The God of all, calls me His son.  God is with us throughout our trials and troubles.  He will help us through.  So we have peace.

This world does not have our Father.  They do not have His peace.  The have turned their backs on Him.  They want nothing to do with Him and the only way they can come is through the Holy Spirit drawing them to Him.  So, we need to pray for those around us who do not know God yet.  Pray God would draw them to Himself.  Share the Gospel with them!  We can't change people's hearts, but we can pray for them.  Without the Holy Spirit working in their lives, all the talking in the world won't make a difference.  Trust God for peace.  Trust Him to lead you exactly where he wants you to be, and then look for those opportunities to share your hope with those who don't have Him.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful word from God's heart & your heart Jared - Thank you for a good devotional this Saturday morning! :-) Jing Jing