Monday, October 4, 2010

Kevin

At the men's retreat, I was able to spend time talking with one indigenous man I'll call Kevin. I told him that I was interested in learning Kriol and asked if he would help me and only speak Kriol to me. Most of the time, he complied! :)
One afternoon I was able to sit down with Kevin under one of the trees (OUT OF THE SUN) and talk with him. We started to read Genesis in the Kriol Baibul(by his choice) and I would ask him about the meanings of certain words. Then he started talking about his life, family, and about the Kriol speakers.
He told me, "When we hear the Bible in English, our heads get it, and we understand. But sometimes there is a word we don't understand, and so we sit and think about that word. We think about that word so much that we don't get the message God is trying to teach us. BUT when we hear the Kriol Baibul, there is no question what God is telling us to do. We don't have to wonder what a word means, because it's clear. It speaks to our hearts."
PRAISE THE LORD!! Please pray with me for Kevin; he seems to be a man who I could possibly come alongside and disciple.

No comments: